Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Sourdough Loaves

A couple of weeks ago I signed up for a Sourdough Bread class taught by Richard Miscovich with Craftsy. His technique is very similar to other bakers that I follow. I needed a refresher, the course was on sale, and in my view, it's about the same price as a decent book. By the way, if you sign up for a Craftsy course, the content doesn't expire. So, you can watch it over again as often as you please. The instructors also respond to your questions. It's a pretty good program.

Two Loaves of Sourdough Bread
So, I've been nurturing this sourdough starter for a few weeks, and yesterday I determined that it was about ready. Today I baked two loaves and I'm pleased with the result. The loaf at the top of the picture was baked at 450 for about 30 minutes, the first 20 minutes under a preheated inverted dutch oven on a baking stone. The dutch oven helps maintain a moist environment. The bottom loaf was baked open at 450 for 20 minutes, temperature reduced to 350 for another 10.

Both loaves went through their final rise in bannetons.

One important lesson I've learned is the value of the twenty minute autolyse before the salt is added.

There are YouTube videos on how this process works also, not to mention a slew of bread books.