Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Burger Rolls

Burger Rolls
Quite by accident, I baked some bread last weekend that came out with a much softer crust. This happened because I used a lower temperature, not much lower, maybe 20° F degrees or so. I had been using initial temperatures of around 450° and lowering to 400°. During this bake, I started around 400 and reduced to 380. The crust was soft, almost like what you'd find on a grocery shelf.

It then occurred to me that this may have been my problem all along in my efforts to make soft rolls. So, Sunday, I put these 125 gram burger rolls (buns?) into the oven at 380 for 15 minutes. And they came out just wonderfully soft! My 1000 grams of flour produced about 15 rolls altogether (70% hydration and 10% olive oil).

Ripening Tomatoes
I should be able to use the same method to make dinner rolls, sub rolls, or 'brat rolls. I sliced these, wrapped individually, and dropped them into the freezer, each one awaits a thick juicy slice of tomato, ripe from the garden!