Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sourdough Boules

Today's baking involved using two slightly different techniques. The boule on the left was baked using the Lahey method of placing it in a cast iron dutch oven, a half hour at 475 with another few minutes with the lid off to achieve just the right color. The loaf on the right had a second rise in a floured banneton and then baked directly on a stone. I used an inverted cast iron dutch oven as a cover and baked at the same time and temperature, 475 for a half hour. No additional time was necessary for browning. The internal temp was 200+ at the finish.

Here is my dough mix:
  • 500 grams of sourdough starter
  • 750+ grams of flour (unbleached King Arthur)
  • 400 grams of warm water
  • 23 grams of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Instant Yeast
My initial mix was a little to wet. I added about a handful more of flour until it didn't stick to my hands and then kneaded by hand on a wooden chopping block for about another 8 minutes. Putting it into a covered glass bowl, in a little more than an hour, it had doubled in size.

Next, I scaled the dough into the two loaves you see here. (that should be about 870 grams each).

The bread was delicious and it will be great to have through the coming week. The next time, I plan to age my sourdough a little more, and/or use more of it. Though, I'm quite happy with today's result.

Tomorrow - sourdough waffles!

Stay tuned! 
Posted by Picasa