Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Pot Loaf

I discussed a few bread baking tips with my sister, Sunny, today and decided I'd actually test some of these great tips to see if they work! It has been quite some time since I'd tried the Jim Lahey method of baking bread in a cast iron Dutch oven. Somehow, I've never been too attracted to the idea; maybe it is just too simple. So, using the Lahey-Bittman method of a quick rise (using a few drops of red wine vinegar in the dough), I began the dough this morning and just finished baking my first loaf. It looks great! I have another in the oven. I'll be cutting into this shortly, but have no fear that it didn't come out just as Jim said it would.

As Jim explained in the video, I used very little yeast, water at 120 F, with an initial rise of 3 hours. I used 1000 grams of flour with 750 grams of water and divided the dough into two loaves. (75% hydration...) My pot is fairly large. I used a 475 degree convection oven for the entire baking process. For the uncovered portion, the time was about 10 minutes, maybe less, probably accelerated by the convection oven. The inside temp was 200 at the end of the baking.
Posted by Picasa